Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

You are legal occupant of a rent-stabilized apartment

Posted by Will on September 30, 1999 at 00:24:31:

In Reply to: Apt in need of repair posted by cybel on September 29, 1999 at 20:22:09:

Start sending written requests for repair to the landlord. Registered,return receipt. Tell them that failure to make repairs will force you to withhold rend in escrow (you must do that) and to request a city inspection. You have a legal right to habitability standards AND a fresh paint job every 3 years....demand these things they cannot evict you for asking for them and they have to renew you.
read more about your rights as a rent stabilized occupant on this site....


: I live in a rent stabilized 5th floor walk up apartment, in Manhattan with 20 units plus whoever lives in the Basement. I was originally a sublettor, believing I was subletting legally, until Management told me otherwise. They evicted the tenant and allowed me to stay in the apartment. I signed a lease and have been living here for the past 5 years. What I would like to know is what rights do I have to ask the landlord to fix the apartment. Because of the circumstances that got me the apartment and my name on the lease, the apartment was not renovated, at all. Can I ask the landlord to fix the hole in the floor, the ceiling fans (they dangle precariously) , two lights that dont work properly (one is in the bathroom and the other is part of the ceiling fan) or am I stuck with an "as is" apartment and must pay for/handle it?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name