Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Problem Neighbor and Landlord's Right of Entry...Quit whining..GET TUFF!

Posted by richard on September 29, 1999 at 11:12:05:

In Reply to: Problem Neighbor and Landlord's Right of Entry posted by Deborah Drucker on September 29, 1999 at 10:01:03:

OK you've got to get TUFF!

Call the police and tell them you think there is a dead person in the
apartment, there is an awful smell and tons of roaches!

That should allow the police to kick in the door legally, and you
wont have to pay a dime!

---------------------------------------------------------

: I have a neighbor who is obviously mentally ill (says strange things, hostile, etc.). He used to live with a woman who was also mentally ill and screamed and cried all day.
: A few months back, he was arrested and she was taken away in an ambulance -- the story I heard was that he had beaten her up. (Several neighbors had tried
: calling Dept. of Human Svcs, etc., etc. and were unable to get a response.)

: Since the woman left there has been a huge roach problem on my floor -- they are all over the hallways and they are coming out of this man's apartment.
: My guess is that she probably took care of the place and he doesn't. I've "defogged" my apartment twice, no help, because they are coming in
: under the door. There has not been a roach problem in the two years I've lived here -- you know, you'd find them once in a while. Now it's infested.

: I called the landlord and told him that he needs to fumigate this man's apartment. He told me that the guy had changed the locks and that he didn't have
: access. I said I thought that in a situation such as this, he had legal right to enter the apartment (with notice, of course) because this guy
: is presenting a health hazard. My landlord does not want to do this, saying he "prefers to have tenant cooperation." While I commend his
: hesitance to throw his authority around, something needs to be done.

: My question is, am I within my legal rights to withhold rent until SOMEONE ELSE's apartment is fumigated? Generally speaking, my landlord,
: although an annoying person, is pretty good about taking care of the building in comparison with some of the nightmare landlords I've heard of.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name