Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

EXPENSIVE NEW LOCK

Posted by Leslie on September 27, 1999 at 19:30:53:

We live in the Upper East Side in Manhattan. After returning home around midnight
on Sunday we discovered that our bottom lock (the one near the doorhandle, not the
deadbolt) was stuck, we couldn't open it no matter what we tried, it just wouldn't turn.
(The lock is older than the other ones on our floor.) We called a Locksmith and had
the lock drilled out and a new plate lock installed. The total bill came to just over
$500 including emergency fees. That night, I managed to get a hold of one other
locksmith on the phone who quoted me the same price, I thought we were fine.

The landlord claims that we paid far too much for the replacement and by his estimate
should have paid no more than $240. (Maybe for a poorer quality lock) The next day
I called around to locksmiths myself and was told that I maybe paid 50-100 dollars
too much for the lock, and that the landlord would do anything to avoid paying us.
The locksmith had seen this before, he said no matter what the price the landlord
usually refused to pay.

I don't know who to believe. The landlord refuses to pay us anything until we dispute
the amount with the Locksmith. We frankly would be happy if the landlord paid us the
$240 and we just swallowed the rest due to our miseducation, but I think he won't
pay us anything until we take this to court.

The amount was paid by credit card and we have submitted a letter to Visa explaining
the we will not pay the amount to them because the amount is in dispute. However I
believe we are still paying interest on the amount.

Any helpful advice? Please respond to my email address. Thank you for your time and help.

Sincerely,
Leslie
leslie@iab.com

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name