Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: illegal apt., eviction from the bronx in NY

Posted by Mark Smith on September 21, 1999 at 23:56:47:

In Reply to: illegal apt eviction from the bronx in NY posted by lea on September 20, 1999 at 12:06:58:

If the assessed valuation is less than $25,000 (for an illegally-converted multiple dwelling), the landlord has to bring bring an ejectment action in civil court -- not a summary proceeding in housing court [New York City Civil Court Act §203(j)]. If the assessed valuation is more than $25,000, an ejectment action would have to be brought in state supreme court.

The Queens Borough President's webpage, Illegal Apartment Conversions: A Guide to the Law and Enforcement Procedures (http://www.queens.nyc.ny.us/presiden/convert.htm -- or click on the link below), incorrectly says that the taxes -- not the assessed valuation -- must be more than $25,000 to require that the ejectment action be brought in state supreme court.

Most one-family and two-family houses, even if illegally converted, are assessed at about 6% of their true value, so it is not likely that your landlord's building is assessed for more than $25,000, but you could check at the Bronx borough assessor's office.

:
: hello i was told that my LL couldnt bring me to housing court w/an illegal apt
: well that info was wrong, the accessed tax
value has to b over 25k for him not to b able to
: use housing court.
: i do need help w/this however. i dont
understand what this means, my LL is from greece
he lives
: in the main apt. on main floor. he is renting
out the 2 apts which were supposed to bone he
made them
: into 2 apt. in his attic. i rent one and a man
rents the other we pay 500 for each apt
: no g/e.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name