Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: what did Landlord sue for?

Posted by Cathy on September 15, 1999 at 15:33:56:

In Reply to: Re: what did Landlord sue for? posted by Anna on September 15, 1999 at 14:54:03:

: : : :How nice of your landlord to keep extending your lease, definitely not to his convenience. It can be difficult to secure a tenant and after all he's done for you this is how you repay him! Good luck on your new house and if it's a multiple dwelling- hope you get a tenant just like yourself!!!
: : : : Paperwork delayed the closing further and we asked our LL if we could extend for September. He said yes but
: : : : we would have to be out 5 days after the house closing even though we paid for the entire month. We signed an
: : : : agreement to such.

: : : : Out of the blue, 2 weeks later, he called up and asked for an extra months rent. He said that he may have a hard time renting
: : : : the place out the following month after we leave so he told us we have to pay an extra months rent in advance
: : : : and if he can't rent the place out the next month he keeps our money.

: : : : What are our rights? Do we have to pay rent when we aren't even living there?

: : :
: : : You have to re-read that last agreement very carefully: or take it to the lawyer who is handling the closing on your house and hve him/her read it.

: : : ps: you did not mention paying a security deposit in addition to the 'last month's rent': if you didn't, what is the risk of not paying this 'extra month'?

: : We did pay a security deposit. As for the risk of not paying, I just got served this morning and I have to be at court on Friday.
: : Do you think I'm gonna win or are they gonna evict me? How fast can they evict me. The house should close before the end of the month
: : so I wouldn't mind so bad if it takes like 30 days to evict us.

: : If we do get evicted for and we have 30 days to get out...do we have to pay rent for that month?

: What were your served? and how? does not sound like a non-payment: 9/15 + 5 days = 9/20 (or 21?)

: Read my posts from yesterday to you, to jeannine, and re: the oral answer for Non-Payment Proceedings. There are sister-pamphlets for Holdover Evictions and for Small Claims in the same place...

: That should take care of most of your questions; also: call the courthouse in your county to verify the date. PS: in NYC, there are 'pro se attorney's' available for you to consult with for free: ask when you call the court.

: How long will it take to evict you? longer than 9/30/99, your scheduled leaving date! But your deposit might be in danger... depending on what that last agreement says.

: If you need more help, post exactly what that notice you received today says and also what that last agreement says...

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name