Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: what did Landlord sue for?

Posted by Anna on September 15, 1999 at 14:54:03:

In Reply to: Re: Landlord did not sue for posted by Kevin on September 15, 1999 at 09:39:13:

: : : Paperwork delayed the closing further and we asked our LL if we could extend for September. He said yes but
: : : we would have to be out 5 days after the house closing even though we paid for the entire month. We signed an
: : : agreement to such.

: : : Out of the blue, 2 weeks later, he called up and asked for an extra months rent. He said that he may have a hard time renting
: : : the place out the following month after we leave so he told us we have to pay an extra months rent in advance
: : : and if he can't rent the place out the next month he keeps our money.

: : : What are our rights? Do we have to pay rent when we aren't even living there?

: :
: : You have to re-read that last agreement very carefully: or take it to the lawyer who is handling the closing on your house and hve him/her read it.

: : ps: you did not mention paying a security deposit in addition to the 'last month's rent': if you didn't, what is the risk of not paying this 'extra month'?

: We did pay a security deposit. As for the risk of not paying, I just got served this morning and I have to be at court on Friday.
: Do you think I'm gonna win or are they gonna evict me? How fast can they evict me. The house should close before the end of the month
: so I wouldn't mind so bad if it takes like 30 days to evict us.

: If we do get evicted for and we have 30 days to get out...do we have to pay rent for that month?

What were your served? and how? does not sound like a non-payment: 9/15 + 5 days = 9/20 (or 21?)

Read my posts from yesterday to you, to jeannine, and re: the oral answer for Non-Payment Proceedings. There are sister-pamphlets for Holdover Evictions and for Small Claims in the same place...

That should take care of most of your questions; also: call the courthouse in your county to verify the date. PS: in NYC, there are 'pro se attorney's' available for you to consult with for free: ask when you call the court.

How long will it take to evict you? longer than 9/30/99, your scheduled leaving date! But your deposit might be in danger... depending on what that last agreement says.

If you need more help, post exactly what that notice you received today says and also what that last agreement says...

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name