Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: rent increase

Posted by DK on September 08, 1999 at 11:10:07:

In Reply to: rent increase posted by john on September 05, 1999 at 00:16:13:

: I live in a four family apartment building. The apartments are not rent controlled. My lease expires on Oct.31, 1999 and the landlord
: just informed me that my rent was being increased from $500 a month to $800 a month. Is this legal. can I force him to repair broken window frames and glass
: and have him install child window guards and test for lead paint prior to paying the increase. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks

Because you are not subject to rent regulation, the landlord can charge whatever he wants for the renewal.

You might have a chance to get a more reasonable rent if you could show that the landlord is forcing you out in retaliation for exercising your legal rights as a tenant. Look at Real Property Law § 223-b (which you can find on the TenantNet website) to see how this works.

Best of all, discuss the matter with your landlord and try to negotiate a more reasonable renewal rent. If you do not have a retaliatory eviction defense and you cannot have a more reasonable rent, then you'll have no choice but to move. Is this what your landlord really wants?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name