Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Roommate stole my rent and took off...

Posted by DK on September 08, 1999 at 10:56:45:

In Reply to: Roommate stole my rent and took off... posted by Davis on September 07, 1999 at 13:49:56:

: My roomate stole my rent money and some of my personal belongings.
: I am so fed up with her that I dont even care about the money or the game system, I just
: want to get out of the lease with a clean slate. Does anybody know what my rights are
: pertaining to a situation like this. I dont think I should be expected to live with people that
: I do not trust and are generally afraid of.

: Many thanks to anyone that can help!!!

: Davis

We need many more facts to be helpful. Do you live in New York City. Is your roommate a co-tenant (that is a party to the lease) or is the lease in your name only? Did the landlord match you up, or did you find the roommate yourself?

It sounds like your dispute is with your roommate, not with the landlord. If that's true, you'll have to resolve this with your roommate. You can always replace your roommate. If you want to move out before the expiration of your lease, you will have to follow the standard procedures--follow the procedures in Real Property Law 226-b to assign your lease. If the landlord unreasonably refuses to consent to the assignment, you are released from the lease.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name