Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: owner taking us to court saying house illegl to rent

Posted by DK on September 08, 1999 at 09:48:47:

In Reply to: owner taking us to court saying house illegl to rent posted by lea on September 07, 1999 at 19:42:04:

: the owner saying he recently found out the house is not a legal 3 fam dweling and is
: suing us to vacate i just got a courst doc that i must answer in 20 days saying his
: home is not legal and in its condition can not be rented out. he has never pd taxes o
: on this hoouse as a rental, he has another tenant in the front apt of his house that
: just moved in 2 yrs ago we have been here for 6 yrs. but they are trying to get us out
: we always pay the rent but sometimes i was a week late w/it but never more than 10 days late ever
: but i gues he rather have someone who pays on time every time which i understand but
: that is no reason to throw us out w/out any place to go and no money to do it with is there
: anything i can do in regards to this case?? help please email me i will tell u all the
: details of the court doc. thanks help me please it will cost me over 2000 to
: move i just dont have it, another thing is we have alwsays paid cash w/no reciepts
: he wanted it that way but now we have no proof of payment thanks lea

You do not indicate whether you live in New York City. If you do, Mark Smith recently posted a very helpful link which explains some of the issues. I have copied the link below.

If your unit is illegal, Multiple Dwelling Law sections 300, 301 and 302 apply. You can find them on the TenantNet website. MDL § 302 says that no rent is owed for an illegal unit, so you should stop paying rent immediately.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name