In Reply to: Re: dog posted by richard on September 04, 1999 at 20:25:10:

: Her email:

: The lease does say no dogs but there are other dogs in the building. I would
: like to stay until my lease is up - December. Should I let him try to evict
: me? My friends say it takes a long time to evict and by time it goes to
: court, my lease will be up.
: ---------------------------------
: Well you have your answer... no dogs!

: So the question is How much money do you have? That will determine your next move.......

: One the LL could try and evict you and by you violating the lease you could
: lose your security deposit AND be liable for all his attorney fees and costs...

: Also are you rent stabilized? have you given the LL notice you intend to move in
: december?

: If so then offer to the LL....let him keep your security deposit in case there is any
: damages from the dog, and you will pay december's rent ...in exchange for not
: starting any eviction proceedings against you....yeah you'll lose some money but
: you will be safe untill your lease ends....

: Hey he's trying to co-operate with you by offering you another apartment!

: Sorry that disabled excuse wont wash either unless you're blind!

: So how much money do you have? that is still the question.

: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The landlord did not have to offer you another place. The problem is you want to have your cake and eat it to. It's unfortunate that your willing to violate the provisions in your lease. If your neighbors were not paying rent does that mean it's o.k. for you to stop. People come on if your not happy with the arrangements find a place where you can be! I agree with Richards advice. Try to work it out.
:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: :
Last week I rescued a very small dog. I have seen many other dogs in my NY apt building. The super informed the owner and the owner called and said I can not have a dog. He said he is trying to make the building dog free and is not allowing new pets but the existing pets can stay. My lease is up in December. Can I stay until December? The landlord said I could move to one of his other buildings that allows pets, but the rent is $300 more. I would like to stay until my lease is up. I'm also considered disabled although I can still work, if that makes a difference. Does anyone know what my rights are?Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name