Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Need info on an illegal roommates rights

Posted by Karla Stinger on September 02, 1999 at 12:27:30:

I have an apartment in Brooklyn and it's in my own name only. I moved in a friend who was supposed to stay temporarily (2 months) until she found her own place. We are now going on 4 months living together and I am getting a little nervous. As of late, we got into an arguement over how the rent check is going to be sent out to the landlord. Except for once, I have always taken her check, deposited in my account and sent the full rent check dirctly to the landlord in my name. On August 1, I had her send the check directly to the landlord b/c I was too late in depositing her check into my bank account and sending the rent check off from there. On Sept 1, my roommate insisted on sending her check directly to the landlord. That of course did not go over well and in the course of this heated discussion she said something about a law where and illegal tenant can establish legal resisidency in an apartment if the landlord accepts her checks for three months. She is not on my lease nor has she given me any security deposit. The landlord knows she's living there illegally and has offered to accept her there, but I want to keep the apartment and be under no obligation to my roommate. She says she needs an official record of her payments on housing for credit reason, but I feel she is positioning herself legally to stay in my apartment. I don't know what to do and I also don't know if she has anything on the matter.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name