Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Please help! Landlord problems.

Posted by JJ on August 31, 1999 at 23:36:39:

In Reply to: Please help! Landlord problems. posted by Karen on August 31, 1999 at 21:46:09:

: I am renting an apartment in New York City (started in June) and since then I have had a number of problems. My landlord has begun construction on an entire new floor on top of the existing top floor, telling us that he is just 'repairing the roof.' Also, the elevator, refrigerator, and other appliances are always breaking down, and the roof leaks whenever it rains. What can/should I do, and is there a way that I can break the lease? Thank you.

Is there a building permit posted at street level? That new floor - roof-structure - whatever - needs one. It is issued by the Dept of Buildings, after the Ll has an architect file plans. If no permit is posted: call them: they can issue a Stop Work Order ASAP, 24 hours a day.

select Buildings from the drop-down list at : http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/

All your other problems have been dealt with before (this one is very serious and a danger to many people, not just you): look for answers in earlier emails.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name