Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: I don't want to leave.. ..SO WHAT?

Posted by richard on August 20, 1999 at 23:12:13:

In Reply to: Re: I don't want to leave my apartment posted by jp on August 20, 1999 at 15:36:45:

Since it's his place and not yours...and you are a month to month tenant..
he has the right to raise the rent $500 with a 30 day notice....

And if you dont pay...EVICTION........

Moral of the story...DONT PISS OFF THE LANDLORD!

: : Since your unit is not subject to rent stabilization, the landlord does not have to offer you a renewal lease. But there are two exceptions. Real Property Law 223-b prohibits all landlords from refusing to renew leases in retaliation for asserting their legal rights. The federal, state and city civil rights laws prohibit discrimination including discrimination on account of marital status.

: : If you fit into either of these exceptions, you're entitled to a renewal.

: : If there is no written lease, or if the landlord has accepted rent after the expiration after your renewal lease, you are probably a month-to-month tenant. In New York City, month-to-month tenancies can only be terminated by a formal written notice served at least thirty days before the end of the monthly term.

:
: :
: : : It's my word agaisn't his and I'm already not planning on admitting the oral agreement. How can I prove that he said this and can the judge order my landlord to allow us to remain in the apartment, if so,for how long? Can I request that we get a written lease, atleast for a year? Or am I going to go through this every month! Someone said he could raise the rent $500 with a written 30 day notice.
: Is this true? I refuse to pay anymore than I am ($800)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name