Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: unwanted "subletter"

Posted by m. on August 19, 1999 at 11:14:34:

In Reply to: Re: unwanted posted by Richard on August 18, 1999 at 20:08:06:

OK. you seem to actually be interested in the situation, unlike "Mark", so i'll explain a little, despite the fact that i still don't understand how you can say "shame" to someone without even knowing the full situation.
i didn't say the apartment was crummy, it's actually a lovely little place. i said the other one was nicer, which could mean a lot of things and in my case means simply that it is closer to my work, which is quite a long commute.
i was not trying to make a profit, in fact i was charging her the actual rent to the penny, and didn't even ask for a deposit. my lease is not up for another year, or i would have just left the apartment. i was simply trying to fill the space and the rent until then, by renting it to an acquaintance.
the other apartment i moved into, however, turned out to be disastrous-- i was physically and sexually harrassed and threatened by one of my new roommates, and as a result had to leave immediately for my safety.
i would never try to kick someone out if it wasn't the most dire of circumstances-- i'm not some evil manipulative landlady, and i feel bad enough about it without everyone on this forum shaming me via email.
but the fact is, due to a variety of circumstances, many financial, moving back into this apartment is my last resort.
all i wanted to know was if i want to move back into the apartment that i have a lease on (which is technically my apartment, i believe), what are the legal issues involved?
if anyone knows, please tell me. if not, forget i ever posted this message. i feel no need to take scoldings and emotional abuse from people who don't even know me.
so, to reiterate: if you have information about these sorts of situations, by all means share it. if not don't sit back and tell me i'm a horrible person.
i don't have time for that, and i can't believe anyone else would take the time to do it.
thank you.

first of all: I dont get it.... Were you trying to make a profit on your rent
: stabilized apartment?

: Shame on you!

: If I made a mistake please enlighten us as to why you wanted to have 2
: apts....you said the old one was crummy

: You'd better really look for a new place because if the LL finds
: out....EVICTION... BABY!

: : i have the lease on a rent-stabilized apartment.
: : i arranged to have a friend move into my room (the other room is occupied by a non-lease-holder who is
: : long-term, no-hassle roommate)while i moved into another (nicer) apartment. that apartment fell through, and i want to move back into the apartment i hold the lease on.
: : she has occupied the room for one week-- the day she moved in, august 1st, i told her i needed to move back in and asked that she move out by september 1st.
: : she is resisting me verbally-- not threatening legal action, but i am afraid she will simply try to stay in the apartmentand refuse to leave. \
: : is asking her to leave within my rights as a leaseholder-- and does she have any rights?
: : is she a squatter? what does that mean legally? i think i'm being generous, considering the fact that she never gave me a deposit and we have nothing on paper.

: : i am trying to be informed in case she tries anything...

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name