Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Security to Apartment

Posted by Emily on August 19, 1999 at 09:58:37:

Hello,

I live in a three story housein Queens. My roommate and I rent the third floor.

The problem is that the door to our apartment is the kind that is more suited to a bathroom or closet. Cheap foam core.

The lock on this door is falling off, probably because several locks have been installed in the same area over a period of time--allowing the area to become stripped.

We asked our landlady to replace the door and lock. She came over and looked at it, said there was nothing wrong with it and that was the end of that.

The reasons I think she doesn't want tor replace the door:

She is unaware that a foam core door to an apartment is not fire retardant and therefore illegal.

She spent a lot of money fixing the place up for us in the bathroom and kitchen.

We have three cops living below us.

And the front door is very secure.

We also suspect that she has rented the apartment to us illegally: she asked for the security deposit in cash, and "prefers rent in cash".

Another problem is that we have no means of escape save for our windows in the event of a fire.

What are our legal rights? In terms of getting the door and lock replaced, in terms of how we pay her rent, the fire escape issue, and the possibility that we are renting from an illegal landlady?

Many thanks,

Emily

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name