Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

I don't want to leave my apartment

Posted by JP on August 19, 1999 at 07:43:02:

Help folks! This is long so bear with me.
My husband signed a 6 month lease in October 1997. He moved out and left the status
of the apartment up in the air. I went to the landlord (he lives in the house) and
asked about the renewal. I was told that due to disagreements with my husband they
were not renewing. I explained my situation and they agreed to let me stay in the
apartment on a month to month lease. Stipulating that if I reunited with my husband
I would have to leave. This was an oral agreement. Well as of July 1999 I reunited
with my husband and the landlord found out and now has served me notice of terminating
my tenancy. Here's the catch - my husband feels that since it was not in writing we
should go by the original lease(which by the way that expired April 1998). The
landlord gave us a 30 day notice and wants us to leave by August 31st. We are happy
here and are not prepared to leave. My husband told the landlord that we are not leaving
and he cannot let anyone see the apartment. He warned him that we would call the
police. We've been good tenants - paid rent on time and everything. Please I need
advice. Will he be able to evict us and how long will we have. I'm prepared to
go to housing court.
P.S. Should I pay the rent for September

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name