Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Noisy kids above me!!!

Posted by kiri on August 18, 1999 at 18:26:44:

In Reply to: Noisy kids above me!!! posted by Tired in LIC on August 18, 1999 at 13:18:12:

: There is a family living directly above me with about three kids. Their ages range, I'm guessing from about 2 yrs. to 5 yrs. old.
: While I like kids in general, they get so loud and jump so much that my entire apartment literaly shakes! I can hear them jumping around
: at all hours of day and night, as well as crying, sometimes for hours on end.

: Is there anything I can legally do about this?

: Thanks!

OK, I'm going to try posting this message for you once more. Hope this thing doesn't show up twice.
I have the same problem. What I did was go upstairs and politely (key word) as the man who lives there (it was his nephews making the noise) if he could please quiet them down,
it was really disturbing me etc. He said he was sorry and quieted them down. (Most people don't realize what downstairs neighbors can hear) But guess what? They're kids and they started right back up the next night, and
the next and the next. Adults can't keep kids quiet all the time. You can speak to the neighbor again, request that they get carpeting,
that you'll have to speak to the landlord and really don't want to, etc. Then, you can actually write the landlord. He won't do anything most likely,
but this will document your case should you have to eventually bring him to court (see this site's Noisy Neighbors/Warrant of Habitibility section).
If worse comes to worse, you can try something I've tried on occasion. It's devious, but it works. When the kids
are quiet and snug in their bed, turn up your radio as loud as it will go, or bang on the ceiling repeatedly. When
the neighbor complains, strike a deal: I'll be quiet if you do.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name