Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Neighbors and my rights

Posted by Mark Smith on August 18, 1999 at 14:22:57:

In Reply to: Neighbors and my rights posted by Roxanne on August 18, 1999 at 11:25:28:

While the situation is unfair, you should be glad that you weren't required to sign a renewal lease. If you had, you would have to put up with this unfair situation for another six months.

If apartments aren't too difficult to find in your area, you should look for a new apartment and move as soon as possible -- after giving whatever notice is legally required in your area.

: We have lived in a 2 unit townhouse for the past 18 months. At the end of our year's lease we were not required to sign another lease. Recently, new neighbors have moved in the other unit. The male tentant has confronted me (female) on 3 occasions in a aggressive and hostile manner. At one point placing his hands on my back and arm. There have been witnesses to 2 of the the 3 incidents. After contacting our city police they instructed us to call the landlord and apprise him of this "unsafe" enviroment. His basic response is "he would have to toss coin as to who would have to leave", since they have a year's lease and we only have a month to month lease! I feel that this is unfair and certianly discrimination upon us. We have NOT confronted this neighbor in any way other than my husband asking him not to confront me or our son, but to talk to him. The local neighbors even called us and warned us of him and his wife, but we dimissed these issues as gossip. Although now, most of the issues have became true in less than one month. My question is what are our rights? Just because we were not required to sign another lease does this individual have more rights than us? His family are the one's who are constantly approaching us in aggressive and hostile manners (which has always been done while my husband is at work)! What can we do, we feel like we are living on eggshells in fear of being evicted.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name