Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Rent and Security Deposit ~ Month-to-Month Lease

Posted by Mark Smith on August 12, 1999 at 12:37:56:

In Reply to: lease posted by l.shield on August 12, 1999 at 09:53:24:

How many residential units are in the building? I'll assume that the apartment is not rent stabilized (fewer than six residential units in the building). If the lease says that the rent is $600, then the rent is $600. What was the previous rent? It is not unusual for landlords, even of rent stabilized apartments, to raise the security deposit when the rent is raised, although the lease usually says what the new security deposit is -- not by how much it is being raised.

A month-to-month lease offers you very little protection. In New York City, the landlord can terminate the lease on thirty days' written notice, in accordance with the lease period (i.e., if the lease is on a calendar month basis, the landlord could notify you on October 1st that the lease is being terminated on October 31st).

: I live in a multiple dwelling apartment building in brooklyn, new york. My one
: year lease is up at the end of this month. My landlord sent me a new month to
: month lease stating the new rent amount of $600.00 on one line. Then on another
: line it stated an additional security of $50. What does that mean? Is my rent
: now $650.00 or $600.00? Has anyone ever heard of that before?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name