Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: air conditioning not cooling

Posted by isaac on August 11, 1999 at 14:52:47:

In Reply to: air conditioning not cooling posted by JW on August 11, 1999 at 10:56:24:

:AC problems are common. The AC should be serviced in the spring. Most likely, it needs a shot of Freon, and the filter need replacing.
If you're in NY and rent-stabilized, you can file a rent-reduction request for cutback in services, but chances are that this case will take forever.
The best thing is to tell the LL IN WRITING that, if the AC is not fixed within one week, you will get an outsider to fix it, and that you will deduct the costs from the next month rent.
If it is an old AC, and thus very cost-inefficient, consider buying your own, returning the old one to the LL. It will pay for itself with the saving in electric usage, and you can take it with you.
Also, consider installing a ceiling fan. Ceiling fans are extremely efficient, and often can replace AC, unless it is an extremley hot and humid day. In the bedroom, they can be very good alternatives to AC.
: done anything about it. I have called him twice and he keeps saying he is going to do something about
: it, but hasn't. It is too hot in here. I have to live with all my blinds closed and no lights on for it
: to even get below 81 degrees. Is this right? Does he need to repair my A/C? My A/C runs constantly and I
: have a feeling that my utilities bill is going to be extremely high. What are my rights?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name