Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent Stabilized Apt.

Posted by Mark Smith on August 10, 1999 at 09:44:06:

In Reply to: Rent Stabilized Apt. posted by Alewis on August 10, 1999 at 09:15:05:

The apartment is subject to de-stabilization only if your New York State taxable income has been over $175,000 for the last two years. The landlord has to apply to DHCR to de-stabilize the apartment.

PLEASE be very careful to respond timely to everything that you get from the landlord and from DHCR, if the landlord starts the process. Make copies of everything. Mail everything at the post office -- at least with a certificate of mailing, or by certified mail, return receipt requested, or best, by registered mail, return receipt requested.

Tenants with income well below $175,000 have had their apartments de-stabilized because they didn't reply, replied late, or couldn't prove that they replied. You might win a challenge to a DHCR de-stabization order in a PAR at DHCR, in Supreme Court, or in the Appellate Division, but that would be very expensive. Make copies, and go to the post office and spend a few extra dollars to avoid any problems.

: I've lived in the same Manhattan rent stabilized apt. for 10 years. My rent will soon go up to $2,000 per month. Once it does, does it automatically become de-stabilized?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name