Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: COME ON LEND A HAND. I'M DESPERATE!!!!!!

Posted by Mark Smith on August 04, 1999 at 22:31:43:

In Reply to: COME ON LEND A HAND. I'M DESPERATE!!!!!! posted by Ann on August 04, 1999 at 18:59:37:

I don't know about Virginia law specifically, but I think that the law of agency would make the landlord liable to you. The landlord chose the property manager and should have made certain that the property manager either turned the security deposit over to the landlord or properly placed the deposit into a bank security deposit account. If Virginia or your town has an agency that can help you, contact them. If not, sue the landlord in small claims court. Let it be the landlord's problem to be a creditor of the property manager in bankruptcy court.

: I rented my townhouse from a person through a realtor/property mgr acting on the owners behalf. I gave her my security deposit. The property mgr went bankrupt. The owner is saying he is not responsible for returning my deposit because he did not physically get the $$ from the propery mgr. Can anyone tell me whether he is ultimately responible since the property mgr was acting on his behalf as his agent. If you are aware of a laws/cases to back this up let me know. I live in Va. Responses needed ASAP.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name