Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: billed for damages i didn't cause

Posted by Anneliese on August 03, 1999 at 23:31:32:

In Reply to: billed for damages i didn't cause posted by scott on August 03, 1999 at 00:40:39:

: I recently received a bill from my building management (in NYC) for damages to two doors in the building's public areas. I did not damage either door, so I have no intention of paying $395 for repairs (particularly since one hasn't been repaired and the repairs to the other can't have cost more than $50).

: Should I just ignore it and let them sue me for it somewhere down the line and have to prove in court that I'm responsible for the damages? Or should I respond in writing that they shouldn't expect payment? (Will that just make them sue sooner?)

: Do any of these answers change if I add that I'm planning on moving ASAP (with more than 6 months left on the lease) because the lack of maintenance and recently reduced services have made the situation barely liveable?

I don't know anything about NYC law--I only came upon (and subscribed) to this site because I found links to Alaska tenant/ landlord law. But I did see in our law (and maybe it will be in yours as well) that you can legally move out because of damages that are not fixed. But, I'm no lawyer and it seems as well that these would have to be damages that prevent you from living in peace and comfort and so on.

In any case, I wouldn't ignore it.

By the way, does anyone know where to find sample forms for informing a landlord that you are pursuing the return of deposit unlawfully held by him? I have seen it through this NYC site, and now cannot find it again.

Good luck, Scott.

Anneliese

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name