Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

who is the landlord?

Posted by sharon on August 03, 1999 at 22:25:39:

I live in NYC. There were rumours that we have a new landlord, but no one has received anything in writing verifying such. Is a bill asking for payment of rent considered enough proof? For the previous landlord, we did not receive bills/receipts, we just mailed our rent checks. The new bills were placed under our doors on the 29th. My concern is that we may be sending money to someone who really does not own/manage the building. I was able to get the phone number of the management company from the super --who I do not trust 100%--the voice mail answers with a different name than the one on the bill/receipt. In the meantime, some of us had not paid rent yet because we are not sure who to send it to and the previous landlord never returns our calls. Where can I get proof of ownership? Is there some public documentation available and current somewhere? The landlord has done some crummy things in the past such as lied about the rent stabilized status of the building when I moved in. (Also can a landord in NYC charge for a $25 late fee? )
Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name