Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Doorman refusing to accept my packages

Posted by Mark Smith on July 29, 1999 at 19:47:49:

In Reply to: Re: Doorman refusing to accept my packages posted by Francesca on July 29, 1999 at 14:34:17:

If the prime tenant is the only person who has signed the lease, the prime tenant is entitled to have immediate family members and ONE other person (and that person's children) live in the apartment. The landlord may have brought the prime tenant to court to have the additional roommates removed. If you were not named in the case and not served with the legal papers, the prime tenant will probably have to terminate your license or tenancy, and then go to housing court to remove you. This could take time, and you may have recourse against the prime tenant if you have an agreement for a longer term. It would help greatly if any such agreement were in writing.

: The only person on the lease is the guy who's lived there 22 years, but the other three (including me) aren't on a lease at all. So I guess this makes us "illegal". Should I be insisting that I be added to the lease? He never mentioned it when I moved in almost a year ago and I didn't think anything of it (I'm not a native NY'er by the way so am blindly making my way along the complicated housing issues for this city). Also, I'm wondering if I'm not legal, does this mean I"m not covered for issues on eviction? For example, if the landlord tells me he wants me and the other two to move out that very day, do I have any rights to stay there for a full 30-days or whatever? right now he's in court with the leasee, but could he haul me into court and sue me for living there and not being on the lease? This is getting very worrisome.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name