Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Succession rights to rent-controlled apartmen

Posted by Dan on July 29, 1999 at 16:13:13:

I have lived in a rent controlled apartment in Manhattan for five years. I was the original signer of the lease, and I have shared the apartment with a steady stream of roomates. My current roomate has lived in the apartment for six months, and the landlords allowed him to add his name to the current lease a few months ago, on the condition of my verbal agreement that I was still responsible for the full amount of the rent. I plan to move when the current lease expires, but my roomate wishes to stay in the apartment. I do not intend to sign my name to another lease on this apartment. (i.e. I don't want to sublet) My big question is as follows
: can my roomate, whose name is now on the lease, sign a renewal lease on this apartment, with the 2% increase (or whatever it is for a rent controlled apartment?) Or is there a distinction between my rights as the signer of the original lease, and my roomate's rights as a recently added name? Can the landlord force him to vacate the apartment? Does he have any succession rights?

An answer to this question would be very helpful!!

--Dan

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name