Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Renter NOT rent regulated ..in a coop: 15 years?

Posted by Richard on July 27, 1999 at 17:41:41:

In Reply to: Re: Renter NOT rent regulated ..in a coop: 15 years? posted by Anna on July 27, 1999 at 12:39:51:

They can and do or change the rules at will, they don't even have to talk to renters
: : The co op board will only deal with the owner, and if you break a rule and get fined
: : you don't even have the right to defend yourself in front of the co-op board because you are vermin
: : ....you are a renter... and the owner will get the fine added to his monthly maintenence bill.

: Although this does describe an attitude quite common among these amateur real-estate moguls, it is a violation of the law to refuse to keep renters (at least, non-purchasing pre-conversion rent-regulated renters) informed of all things that do or will affect them. The Martin Act clearly states that they will be served by the same managing agent WITHOUT discrimination: the managing agent/building manager MUST deal directly with the tenants, not the absentee-shareholders. Of course, they frequently violate this, too.

Well quite a few years ago I had a run in with a co-op in Stamford CT.
They started ticketing cars that were "illegally parked", ok.. it was an area with no signs one way or the other.
So thats what happened to me ...they refused to talk to renters and the owner gets the fine added to the the monthly maintence bill

And what was it all about......Not parking spaces but the size of the parking space....huh?
I offered a solution to never having to ticket cars again and to avoid pissing off the tenants... the co-op 260 units
was 60% renters.....I said go across the street and measure how wide the spaces are...they were 9 inches narrower
then in our lot.....ours was painted maybe 15 years ago for BIG cars olds, buicks, caddys, but today there were NO big cars
so you start adding up 9 inches here, 9inches there... and you could add almost20 new parking places and volia...no one would have to
park "illegally".....it all fell on deaf ears because we were renters!

To make a long story short I guess i finally pissed off everybody, then got a job in NYC and moved,
6 months later I went back to the co-op and guess what
They repainted the parking lot and added 22 new parking spaces........
Gee the thanks I get for standing out in a crowd!!!!!!!

**********************************************************************:
: : that is why co-ops are much cheaper then condos......
: No connection: the purchase price might be cheaper, but the monthly maintenance is much higher than the condo's monthly common charges... And the same thing would happen in a condo: the board rules the common areas! Dictators and/or incompetent directors are common in both...

Maybe No connection, but it seems that nazi dictators overwhelm the co-op boards judging from all the posters.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name