Posted by Richard on July 11, 1999 at 11:59:07:
In Reply to: Eviction After Denial of Lease Renewal posted by Ruth David on July 11, 1999 at 00:17:29:
Do you have any money saved???
Why not offer to buy the house, that should stall the LL, since he
wouldnt be expecting that.
When you are in a rental, its HIS house NOT yours....so you should
never spend spend spend...like its YOURS.
If the rent is cheap, did you put away a few hundred dollars a month
into a savings accout so when this day happens, you would have a lot of
: My landlord has told us verbally and through a mailed letter (along with a certified letter that we have not claimed) that he will not be renewing our lease which will expire July 31. My family (which consists of my husband, two small children, and I) has been living in a one-family house in Queens, NY where we have use of the backyard and driveway for five years. He has verbally told us that he will not rush our vacancy and will give us ample time to find a home but that our departure should take place before Christmas time. How much longer do I really have to leave since I wish to prolong as much as possible our departure from this house since the rent is fairly cheap? Please give me an idea of how I can use tenants' rights and housing court to my advantage to delay our departure from this house. Also, how will our position change if we were to withhold the rent when we eventually engage in protracted legal proceedings in housing court? When he originally told us that he would not renew our lease in mid-June, I had the luck of finding a house to rent but was unable to move because our landlord delayed returning our security which I told him was essental for paying the security deposit at the newly found house. Because of this incident, we were thinking of using our security to pay for the month of July and then giving him our monthly rent every first of the subsequent months until we leave in order to insure that he doesn't withhold our security deposit which is essential to our being able to provide the security deposit for a new home. How will this scenario effect any eviction proceedings or judgments in Housing Court. Please advise ASAP. What legal tactics can I expect from my landlord in order to evict us? Please refer to me any tenant friendly attorneys that have experience in NYC Housing Court that will take on this possible case either pro bono or inexpensively.
Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup