Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Commercial Exhaust in Public Hallway

Posted by Anna on June 30, 1999 at 23:44:49:

In Reply to: Commercial Exhaust in Public Hallway posted by Tim on June 30, 1999 at 22:23:39:

: I live in a 5 story walk up, rent stabilized
: building in Manhattan. The first floor is a
: restaurant. Sometime last night or early this
: morning, the management of the restaurant posted
: signs stating they would be installing new
: ventilation. There was never a notice from the
: landlord, who is the owner of the building. Today
: when we came home we discovered the restaurant
: had knocked a hole in the wall and is running air
: vents through the public hallway leading to the
: stairs. The restaurant has it's own entrance and they also are renters.
: Tennants from the third floor approached the
: owner of the restaurant for work permits as there
: are none posted anywhere, and they were told he
: had them, but he would not produce them.
: Where can we turn for help?
: Thank you for any advice you can offer.
: Tim

Restaurant exhaust pipes running thru the residential public halls? (AKA: your primary fire egress)

Call the Dept of Buildings immediately: tonight: tell them about the construction, about the lack of posted Work Permits. They will show up, issue a stop-work order, etc. Remember the fire in the Manhasset earlier this year? Upper West Side, fire took 20 minutes to travel from the restaurant to the roof, 10-15 stories, where the exhaust went through the SHAFTWAY. If you don't remember, trust me: the DoB, Fire Depts, & other emergency agencies do! You should have seen the army they sent out for another restaurant fire (another residential bldg, one block south a few weeks later!


Manhattan 60 Hudson Street (212) 312-8530
The complaint numbers listed for each borough should be used to report illegal work, illegal occupancy, or a possible structural

Events that occur during non-business hours which are deemed hazardous or a threat to public safety will be responded to by
DOB's Emergency Response Team. Emergency situations that occur after 4:00 p.m. or on weekends and
holidays should be reported to a central number, (212) 312-8298. If the staff is unavailable, a recorded message
should be left.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name