Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Problem with Landlord

Posted by Gaylord Tang on June 30, 1999 at 22:22:57:

Here's something weird. It doesn't involve a lot of money, but the landlord seem to be trying to pull something.

I'm living with my grandmother in her rent controlled apartment in Chinatown. It's definately rent controlled, not rent stablized. My parents on Long Island are the people who are sending the checks to the landlord.

For the past several months, the landlord has altered 2 letters on the name on the check so they are different from my grandmother's actual name. At the same time, he had raised the rent a relatively minor amount. Several months pass.

About a week ago, the landlord's agents knocked on the door when I was there. They had some sort of notice saying that my grandmother owed that rent money. They said they needed proof that the notices they were sending were to the wrong person. I showed them a utility bill with her correct name. They said that wasn't enough, and asked for a Social Security card. I agreed, but my grandmother refused to fax it to them fearing some sort of shenanigan.

She had apparently fought with the landlord before. She says that there was some sort of past injunction against any sort of rent increase when they tried to forcibly evict her in the early '70s.

Last night, they stuck a paper on the door to "John Doe", the wrong name for my grandmother, and my name for the amount they say we owe. Now, $130 isn't a lot. But something is going on here. Do any of you have any idea of what it could be? Is there something I can do on my own to get this fixed?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name