Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Temporary walls: true story

Posted by Anna on June 27, 1999 at 00:22:39:

In Reply to: Temporary walls posted by David on June 25, 1999 at 11:16:37:

: We built a temporary wall in our apartment but it is now time to move on. I assume we have an obligation to remove the wall but I am wondering what a landlords recourse may be if we do not. We haven't paid the last months rent so we don't have a security deposit to worry about.

: I guess all landlords reactions will differ but any insights or personal experiences would be useful.

: Thanks

An honest person told me this story:

A friend of his moved when he got married; he left the apt better than 'broom-clean', he actually washed the floors, the kitchen & the bath. He had a large armoire (not enough closet space in apt) that they didn't need in their new apt. He left it behind with a note for the new tenant: "if you don't want this, call me & I'll come help you move it to the curb on garbage collection day, or just call Goodwill."

The landlord refused to give him his security deposit; he sued for it in small Claims court. On the way into the courtroom, his landlord says, pleasantly: "You're gonna lose, etc". At the hearing, his landlord says: "Your Honor, he left furniture in the apt, etc" & produces his super and a bill from a trash removal company for 80% of the deposit. The tenant lost all his security deposit.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name