Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

subletting a rent stabilized apartment

Posted by Robin on June 22, 1999 at 11:25:45:

I'm subletting an apartment for the summer from two people (A&B, who are in spain for the summer) that are subletting the place for the whole year from someone else (C, who is in new jersey) who I have had no contact with. I don't know the legal ramifications of this but that's not my question.

I didn't know the apartment was rent stabilized until I received a notice from the rent stabilization board (addressed to C) that I opened because it looked important and A&B and I had agreed that I would open any timely looking mail. In this letter, I found out that the apartment is rent stabilized at $1135.06 per month. I was told by A&B that the rent was $1700. I have already paid them $2550 (half of 3 months rent). I don't know if A&B know that the actual rent is $1135.06, C might not have told them. Also, I never signed a subletting lease. I am willing to pay the 10% increase for a furnished apartment but no more. If I refuse to pay any more money than $1135.06 +10% per month, can C kick me out of the apartment?

Remember, although I have a cancelled check, I have no lease. And I did verbally agree to $1700 per month. If I decided to threaten legal action just to try to get A&B to agree to decrease my rent, should I tell A&B that I'll name them or would I have to name C?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name