Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: keys and carpet

Posted by Anna on June 20, 1999 at 23:37:21:

In Reply to: keys and carpet posted by craig on June 20, 1999 at 22:31:58:

: I live in a two-family home in Brooklyn. I currently am a month-to-month tenant with a crazy landlady. I have two questions:
: 1. I have a sneaking feeling that my landlady is coming in to my apartment when I'm not home. can I change the locks on the door and not give her a key?
: 2. she has twice stated to me that she doesn't think I vaccum the carpet. she claims she hasn't heard my vaccum in two months. at what point does statements like these become harassment? and what is considered "normal wear and tear" in terms of getting back my security deposit?
: thank you.

1. There are two laws about keys: one says tenants have the right to change the locks. the other says that IF the landlady asks, you have to give her a key to your new lock. read in detail on TenantNet Home in the Tenant Rights booklets.

If you want to confirm that someone is/isn't coming into your apt, set a trap: I would pull a box up to my door as I was closing it; when the door was opened, it would move the box. Got home one night, the box had already been moved, confronted the manager, he denied it. Called the police, the manager suddenly remembered that there was 'an emergency' that morning, no one believed him. Under threat of arrest for trespassing, he didn't do it again (I changed the lock, he never asked for a key!).

Or buy a voice-activated tape recorder: it should start recording when the landlady unlocks the door...

2. Wear & tear: asked & answered recently: page down through the messages.
Harassment: there are several different laws defining illegal harassment: explained on TenantNet Home, a CWTF or CTRC publication.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name