Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent overcharge? hmmmmOH yeah

Posted by richard on June 15, 1999 at 18:04:40:

In Reply to: Rent overcharge? hmmmm posted by Jane on June 14, 1999 at 18:37:18:

: Great site! Now I'm wondering....
: I moved into my rent controlled apartment in 1991. I remember receiving something in the mail soon after (maybe from landlord or DHCR) that stated that the previous tenant's rent was $99. Good for her I thought, but here we are paying 10X that! I believe that the apartment was renovated just before I moved in, but is there any way that a $900 jump is legal?

: From the messages I've seen here, it is a difficult process to win a rent overcharge. I think I'd settle for a decrease in my monthly rent. Do I have any leverage? Have I missed my chance by signing renewal leases year after year? Does it matter that the building has changed managing agents since I moved in?

: Thanks, in advance.

You got a chance to challege the rent in 1991, and you didnt read the notice they sent to you....

is a $900 jump legal.....probably NO...but you had 90 days to challenge the rent in 1991.

So next time read your mail.....read the fine print.....take time to ask questions...and you'll never get ripped off again...

Richard

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name