Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

did I just lose lack of jurisdiction claim?

Posted by JJ on June 09, 1999 at 18:05:46:

I just got back from Housing Court and I am %?$ !!!
I did an oral answer to a non-payment petition.

First: the clerk ridiculed me because my rent is below $650, below 125st in Manhattan Valley, said: 'why don't you just pay your rent, it's only one month's rent'
(hey: when I moved in, it was a drug-infested block with gang-shootings on the corner... they're lucky anyone rented this apt. Rents have tripled in the last five years, but the LL's expenses have not: he bought the building for $86,000 in 1986. The LL's a rat, and my kitchen has mice.)

Then: I told him that I only received the mail part of the Nail&Mail service for both the rent demand and the petition, and I wanted to plead improper service of both, he said: 'well, you got one of each, so you were served.' DUH! I got the mailed petition the night before the deadline for answer-or-get-defaulted!

I asked him to write the improper service of the rent demand on the answer (there is no pre-printed section for that, only for the petition): he did not do it.

I told him that there were more defects on the petition than were not listed on the form,(registrations) but he wrote nothing about them, either.

Did I lose personal and/or subject jurisdiction because of this inadequate form and the clerk's refusal to alter it? Can I fix it without a lawyer? From what I understood last time, it is never too late for some types of subject jurisdiction complaints, but personal can be lost the first time you enter the building.

ps: I'm not really clear on what is personal and what is subject: e.g. lack of or improper service is personal, but defects or false statements on the is subject?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name