Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Eviction in Supreme Court

Posted by Pat on June 09, 1999 at 13:45:08:

You helped me back in November when I was researching the building I live in ("Illegal Rent"). In Dec. I was served with a 30 day notice, followed by a Holdover Proceeding. But because the building is illegal (six-family multi-dwelling with a C of O saying it is a 2 family) the landlord dropped the Holdover. Now he is suing me in Supreme Court. (There are six owners on the lease but only one is evicting me, the one who collected the under the table rent). My attorney wanted $7000 to handle that case, so I must represent myself. I am told that Supreme Court will not deal with the issue of the building's legality but will rule only on the eviction. Is this true? Can I be evicted in Supreme Court even though my apartment, rent and the entire building is not legal? I once had information that a landlord cannot collect rent with an illegal C of O, but I misplaced the printout. Can you help with with that point of law?

Thanks,

Pat

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name