Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Painting - more than 3 yrs and $$$ equivalent

Posted by Anna on June 04, 1999 at 22:50:19:

In Reply to: Painting - more than 3 yrs and $$$ equivalent posted by Grace T on June 04, 1999 at 16:18:31:

: Hi:

: I have lived in this apt for almost 20 years. the landlord's policy is to paint every 3 years. In 1986, I hired a pro to paint the place and they did a great job, sanding walls, replastering -- generally upgrading the place (much better than any painters the landlord has ever sent.)

: In 1991, I had the lanlord paint the place.
: I haven't had it painted since then. Here's my questions.

: (1) Can I ask the landlord to give me the $$ to paint the place but give me double (since it's almost 9 years -- I know he won't go for 3 times) what they usually give as compensation to have it done right?

: (2) What is the standard $$ amount per room if tenant wants to do the paint job?
: He's saying $50 a room and saying that the bathroom and kitchen constitute 1 room. There is also a good size foyer and hall that he's not including in this 3 rooms. He says if the foyer and hall are more than 45 sq feet that will be another room.

: Thanks for any info.

: Regards,
: Grace

My landlord claims he can get it done for $60 per room in Manhattan: his people use paint the thickness of water and cheap brushes and no masking tape and no dropcloths and they repair nothing, not even the things they damage.

Get a couple of estimates in writing from real painters and negotiate with him. You'll end up paying for most of it, but it will still be cheaper for you than paying for cleaning up the mess his people will leave.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name