Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Sublet and Security Deposit Refused

Posted by Sabena on June 03, 1999 at 14:49:12:

I have moved out of my apartment and broken my lease by giving two weeks notice. I only notified my landlord verbally, not in writing. Before I moved out, I asked the landlord for approval to sublet my apartment. He refused. He also refused to return my security deposit after the move even though I kept the apartment in perfect condition. The reason he gave was that I didn't give 30-60 days' notice, "as written on the contract." However, I found that the contract (for rent-stabilized apartments) didn't specify this term. Theoretically I could have filed a complaint against his refusal to let me sublet, since my building has more than four rental units and he refused without any reasonable grounds.

However, because I didn't write the LL a letter ending the lease early, I'm afraid he can take legal recourse and charge me for the rent for the remaining six months of my lease. Besides, all correspondence was done over the phone through his manager. Do I still have any case against the landlord re: the refusal of sublet and witholding the security?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name