Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Screwed by two landlords

Posted by Hello Kitty on June 02, 1999 at 15:51:50:

Two things that recently frustrated me immensely. Please advice!!

Case A
1. I and a friend found a two bedroom in Manhattan through a broker and filed an application to the landlord (May 11). Both of us have excellent credits and track record. The landlord didn't reply to us until two weeks later, when he wanted an interview with us. It turned out he's overseas and had his manager take care of matters. When we were at the interview, the manager told us that the landlord wanted one month's rent, one month's security deposit and the last month's rent. But the brokers were told that only one month's rent and one month's security deposit was required. So we asked the manager to negotiate with the landlord whether he can let us spread the last month's rent over a period of time. The landlord replied a week later that he wasn't pleased with our request and thus rejected our application.

Now, who should be responsibility for this misinformation? Obviously not us! But why do we have to take the consequence? We then told the landlord (via the manager, as always) that we were willing to pay the last month's rent. But he still rejected (that was May 28). The manager didn't provide the reason until I pressed him to do so. And he said the landlord had someone else in mind. I know that we are the first ones to turn in the application. Assuming our application is faultless, does the landlord have any right to turn down our application?

Case B
2. Because I wanted to get back my security deposit from my present apartment, I gave verbal notice on May 18, way before I heard the rejection decision from the landlord in Case A. At the same time, I advertised to sublet my apartment. Someone was interested and I notified the landlord but he refused. My building has 20 rental units. Can he reject the sublet legally?

On the other hand, I couldn't confirm whether I could move out by the end of May, since landlord A kept on postponing his decisions. So, even though I gave notice, my landlord didn't put out an ad in the paper advertising my current place until the last week of May. Up till now, the apartment isn't rented yet. Because I have given notice and because I didn't get the other apartment (Case A), I had no choice but to leave. So I moved out on May 31. I was hoping that by now--half a month after I gave notice--I can at least get back half of my deposit back. The landlord refused because I didn't give notice 30 to 60 days prior to moving out. I'd like to know if there is any way I can salvage the situation, i.e. get back my security deposit. Please help!!
That is almost $1000. While it means nothing to the wealthy landlord, it means a lot to me. I'm totally depressed.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name