Posted by wei gong on May 27, 1999 at 14:05:16:
I am living in a private apartment, which is just in the rear of landlord's
house. Because I know the landlord quite well, we did not sign any lease or pay
deposit before I moved in.
I do not know why recently the landlord hate me so much. On May 25, she said me
that she would sell the house soon and I must leave before June 30. I tried to
discuss with her whether I can move out on July 3 because that is a weekend. She
said no. I ask if I can move out on July 1, because my new landlord only allow
me to move in on the first day of the month. She said no. Then, I said OK I have
to move out before June 30.
Yesterday (May 27), I wrote a notice to the landlord and want her to repair some
severe problems in the facilities of the apartment (see attached items). When
she looked at the notice, she said I have to paid for some damages of the
apartment (e.g. the ceiling). In fact, there is no visible damage of the ceiling
right now. I said why I should pay for them. I said we had no lease to do so.
She said "OK, since there is no lease, I would not either repair the problems
in the facility of the appartment".
Now, my questions are:
(1) Must I pay her the rent of June on June 1 if she refuses to repair the
(2) If our rent for a month is $600, and I decide to move out in the morning on
June 27, then how much should I pay her?
(3) Can I pay less than I should do because of the inqualified facility? How
much will it be?
(4) Must I paid her for the so-called damages? What should I do if I think there
is no damage at all?
Please note that I have no time to look for worker to repair the facilities.
Even I find a worker later, it may take a few days to do it. But I shall move
out in June.
Thank you very much for your attention.
P.S: The problem of facility
(1) A large hole is found in the bath room in front of the toilet, the landlord
put a thick wooden flake on the hole instead of repairing the hole. This flake
would injure my family members, especially my 5 years old kid.
(2) The up-right oven does not work. The gas has been coming out from the hole
of the oven. The bottom oven for roast does not work.
(3) The bathtub cannot discharge smoothly. It may take 45-60 minutes to
discharge 2/3 bathtub of water. I had let her to repair this several time. Both
she and I bought liquid, but it would no help.
(4) The toilet has problems. It always spells noise and affects our sleeping.
Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup