Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Finding Bldg's Owner

Posted by Les on May 26, 1999 at 00:25:56:

In Reply to: Finding Bldg's Owner posted by Phil on May 25, 1999 at 22:48:41:

: I was overcharged on a sublease (Manhattan). I've contacted the managing agent but he won't get involved and won't give me the name of the owner. I'm sure the owner would be interested in knowing he/she was ripped off (not to mention providing me with the overlease which I have not been given- I learned of the overcharge from the annual DHCR letter that came to the apt). How can I find out the owner. I'm sure it's public record but where/how do I find it? I've since moved and am going to sue (probably in small claims). I just want to get my facts straight before the hearing.

: Thanks,
: Phil

What annual letter from DHCR??? I've been the primary stabilized tenant in Manhattan in the same apt for over ten years, and have never received a letter or notice from DHCR. Please describe this thing in more detail. (I do get a copy of the rent registration form, but that is mailed by the landlord)

If you were overcharged on a sublease, the culprit is the primary tenant, who will owe you treble damages. The $3000 limit in small claims court is on the overcharge amount, not the damages: e.g. : overcharged & sue for $2400; ASK for treble damages (find the right law), you get $7200. The primary tenant is who you sue, the person you have the lease with, not the building owner. (note: prime can charge 10% over their lease for furniture, landlord also gets another 10% just to accommodate the sublease situation)

FYI: The building owner's name is on the rent registration, MDL registration (at Hpd), etc. or you can go to the Hall of Records, 31 Chambers, look up the deed of the building.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name