Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

breaking lease /job transfer

Posted by michelle on May 17, 1999 at 09:32:31:

we have a lease agreement till Dec. My husband has been offered a job in CA and we live in NC. We called the landslords on 5 May and stated we would be vacating on 5 June. We then sent a letter to them stating the same. We received a letter 14 May stating we owe them for the remainder of lease which is around 5500.00. We called and set up a meeting for this past weekend to see if we could work something out. At the the meeting we asked if they could not get the same amount of rent money for the house then we would agree to pay the difference. The husband stated he was not sure he wanted to rent it out and was thinking of putting the house up for sale. The wife then asked us if we could make payments to them for the balance of the amount owed for lease. We brought up several times that they would have no trouble renting the house at all. From what I have been reading on this site, they have to show that they tried to rent. If they don't and decide to sell does that release us from liability? We are kind of in a bind because time is getting close to move.
What happens if we decide to just go? Or should I just let my spouse go and I just stay till they decide what they are going to do. Can anyone help me.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name