Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Help! Are we sinking or sliding

Posted by Mark Smith on May 13, 1999 at 12:33:27:

In Reply to: Help! Are we sinking or sliding posted by Rookmin on May 13, 1999 at 12:15:25:

Read your lease. Unless the lease provides that the current owner or a new owner can cancel it before the expiration date, you are safe through November. There may also be a provision in the lease about the landlord showing the premises in order to sell or rent it. Look to see if there is a time frame, such as, during the last three months or six months of the lease.

If this "open house" is a one-time situation, the landlord may be within his rights. However, if it becomes a regular practice, you might tell the brokers that the landlord may not be serious about selling, but is just trying to find out what his house is worth. Furthermore, since the other unit is vacant, let the brokers show that unit, and not yours, especially if the other unit is similar to yours.

Your apartment is most likely not regulated, so DHCR probably has no jurisdiction.

: I live in a rented brownstone in Brooklyn. I have a one year lease that expires in Nov 99. Two weeks ago, the owner/landlord told me and my rooomies that the tenants below us were moving and that instead of renting that apt. - he was going to renovate it and have people come to make offers on the house...."just to see what it is worth---after all he does not make any money on this house and he has only kept it for the last ten years for to give back to the communtity by renting it to young adults". He assured us that the house is not offficially up for sale and that if he received a good offer he would "TRY to sell the property with our lease intact to protect us". Last Sat. 30 people including 3 realtors nearly invaded our space, I agreed to stay home although my landlord assured me he would pull the doors closed since he knew I needed to be out!!! He did call the evening before to let me know that someone would be coming by to look at the house. We are four roomates who are concerned about our rights. Doesn't our lease protect us, even if the house is sold? Could we possibly be forced to move if the buye

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name