Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Define Furnished?

Posted by AdamS on May 12, 1999 at 21:29:24:

In Reply to: Re: Define Furnished? posted by Anna on May 12, 1999 at 21:11:41:

: : I'm being overcharged in a stabilized bldg. Landlord says apartment is "furnished" and, accordingly, can charge an extra 10%. This place is not furnished unless LL can count kitchen appliances and cabinets. Does anyone know a standard definition of "furnished" that the DHCR uses/respects?
: : AdamS

: *******

: Appliances, sinks, and kitchen cabinets are not 'furniture' in the USA, they are 'fixtures'. I've only heard of 10% surcharge for subletting a furnished apt: are you subletting or are you the leaseholder? read the DHCR section on TenantNet, read more about overcharges in these msgs & archives, then call DHCR or go in person & check your apt rental history.

Thanks. I am subletting. I've read everything in DHCR and understand the 10% rule for furnished apts (I was paying less than 10% more than legal rent). I am suing in small claims court. My contract with the overtenant is silent on furnishings. My problem is how to prove it wasn't furnished. Should I contact the true Landlord (not just the overtenant from whom I rent)? By the way, I moved out in January 99. Thanks.
AdamS

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name