Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: no hot water

Posted by Nora on May 11, 1999 at 15:24:05:

In Reply to: no hot water posted by kim on May 11, 1999 at 13:08:55:

Call the city right away. I've had the same hw problem in my bldg. (on and off) over the past 2 years. The first time it happened, I was reluctant to file a complaint, but now I waste no time. Call the landlord first, so he can't claim he didn't know. Keep a record of exact dates, and calls you made to your landlord. Then call the city. Call every day until the problem's fixed, and encourage other tenants to do the same. They'll send an inspector over fast (takes somewhere between 24 and 72 hrs), and force the landlord to make the repairs. Having an inspector in is also a good way to document the problem. If you do decide to withhold rent, you'll have proof of the problem if the landlord decides to take you to court over it.

: i live in a nice apartment building with 90 units where you have the option of buying your apartment. we recently had a new managment company take over. the superintedant is not helpful at all and basically will not make repairs until he is forced to do so. i thought that the new mgmt. co. would improve matter, maybe even fire the super but nothing has happened. we have not had hot water for 2 1/2 weeks. the super was informed and the mgmt. co. was informed. but still there have been no response or repairs. do you have any suggestions as to what i should do? i have been thinking about withholding my rent until this is resolved. or calling the heat/hot water inspectors.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name