Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

No limit

Posted by MikeW on May 07, 1999 at 13:00:44:

In Reply to: rent increase in UNregulated dwellings posted by ah on May 07, 1999 at 09:45:10:

In an unregulated apartment, the LL can charge whatever he/she wants and/or refuse to renew, at the end of a lease. As far as code violation, as far as I know, he will still have to honor the terms of the lease, but he may decide you not worth the trouble, and not renew you. As far as the city, they don't seem too agressive about kicking people out of illegal dwelling, but how lucky do you feel. The one thing that may work in you favor is that it is very difficult for a LL to evict a tenant from an illegal dwelling. They can't use housing court, and must go through a much longer and more difficult process in State Supreme Court.

: I have searched this site for information on rent increases for UNregulated tenants. Is there any legal limit or are there precedents for "fair" rent increases for these tenants? My landlord wants to raise my rent 25% ($200 all at once) and I don't even have a fire exit or a smoke alarm in my apartment. I am afraid I will be kicked out of my apartment if I bring in the codes inspector because it is totally not a legal apartment (unknown to me when I took it). Can anyone give me ANY information that would help?

: please email dpict@escape.com

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name