Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Should I be on the lease?

Posted by Anna on May 06, 1999 at 10:16:53:

In Reply to: Should I be on the lease? posted by Katie on May 06, 1999 at 09:54:51:

: I am sharing an apartment with someone I met through a roommate service and she is charging me a considerably larger amount than she pays. As she is the only person on the lease I guess she can do this. I write my rent checks directly to the landlord, not to her. Should I try to get myself on the lease? Can I do this? Is it worth it? I am clueless about these things and would appreciate any advise.

Although it is legal to charge a roommate (does this person also live there?) any amount of rent whatsoever (but not a sublet, if the apt is stabilized or controlled), it is very strange that you are paying more than the lease amount to the LANDLORD directly. Are you sure about the rental amounts? If this apt is stabilized, this sounds like an overcharge.
ps: if you really want to get on the lease, ask the landlord... s/he is not required to do so.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name