Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Verbal Rent Agreement

Posted by Grant on April 30, 1999 at 09:31:30:

When I first moved into my apartment 3 months ago, I had an agreement for a rent amount. On the move-in date, my roomates raised the rent by 12.5%, claiming they had reconsidered the amount.

I agreed and have been paying the increase, although now they wish to raise it an additional 33%.

Their claim is that they have re-evaluated the value of the room because of 2 reasons:
1) It is my primary residence (they have parents on Long Island and stay there often). I never mislead them by stating that it would be a part-time occupancy basis. (they're trying to save money to travel, and one of them has been unemployed for 3 months that's the real reason for the attempt at raising the rent)

2) A "realization" process of having a third person live with them. (they previously had 3 people living in the space, so this seems bogus, also)

Being that we had a verbal agreement and I am not on the lease, do I have any rights? What is the minimum time they have to give me if they choose to evict? Is there a maximum that they can increase my rent? (They also have numerous unpaid bills which has resulted in suspension of our phone service, to name one. Does this help me at all?)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name: 
E-Mail: 
Subject: 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name