Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

affordable housing

Posted by Sonya d. on April 29, 1999 at 19:39:37:

I am a library clerk making approximately $26,000. I do expect to see my salary increase slowly over the following years, but it will never get to a point where I will be able to easily afford any apartment that I want. My dilemma is that I want to stay in NYC permantently and live in downtown Manhattan (96th St. or lower if I can't get downtown). I currently live right next to the George Washington Bridge in a very pleasant neighborhood that is too far from where I work and hang out for my tastes. I am well aware that my finances won't get me anything where I want to live that isn't subsidized in some way or an incredibly low rent stabilized apartment (a rarity these days). I am willing to be on a waiting list for years if necessary or to make many phone calls and deal with all kinds of red tape, but I am not finding even the opportunity to do that. I have checked out all the Mitchell Lama buildings and am currently on several lists, but it is not a sure thing because buildings can buy out of that program. Sty Town has a minimum $55,000 income requirement and all the "80/20" situations that I have found require income to be under my current income. I would be willing to rent or buy if the price was right. If anyone out there knows of any other kind of waiting lists or programs that I should inquire about, please let me know. If anyone knows about some good literature regarding the current (i.e. post 1997) housing situation in NYC, please point me in the right direction and I will do the research myself. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name: 
E-Mail: 
Subject: 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name