Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: I try to rent a garage space

Posted by isaac on April 30, 1999 at 16:02:42:

In Reply to: I try to rent a garage space posted by gene s on April 29, 1999 at 16:14:41:

: I live in a building and want to rented garage space.My landlord said that he doesn't have any available. But people who don't live in our building using our garage.What can I do to force landlord to give me a space.

It depends if you live in NY and your apartment is rent-stabilized.
If so, talk to tenants, to see if parking was provided to tenants as an "ancillary service" as of May31, 1968 (this is the "base date" at which services provided then must not be cut back.
If this was a service, then send to the landlord a certified letter, etc. requesting a space; go to DHCR if he refuses, to force him to do so.
Review also at the Buildings Department your building's "certificate of occupancy" and other pertinent building and garage documents. Talk also to other tenants who may have this problem. Those that do have space would also have the garage rent controlled by allowable rent increases, at the same level as apartments.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name